Marketing is a continuous everyday work. You do everything simultaneously because there is no single way where you can get traffic so you need to make sure that every possible source of traffic is reached
My suggested timeline is:
BEFORE LAUNCHING THE WEBSITE
– Do an extensive keyword research analysis. SEOBook.com has a very good listing of free tools http://tools.seobook.com/ that you can use to research the keywords for your site including: keyword density, determining the keywords you want to target, who are your competitors for your targeted keywords.
– Start mapping out your link strategy. You need to start making a list of who should link to you and where you can request for links.
– Start thinking of how you can get the word out about your business. Do you plan on writing articles? Will you harness viral marketing? Be sure to equip your site with tools Get a Recommend this Site script from websites such as cgiscripts.com and similar directories of scripts. Some even go as far as giving incentives to those who recommend the site to their friends. If only 10 people go to your site, but these 10 people invite 10 more – that’s additional traffic that you get for FREE!
Recommend Site Scripts (various) http://php.resourceindex.com/Complete_Scripts/Website_Promotion/Recommend_Site/
Big Nose Bird Recommend this Site http://bignosebird.com/carchive/birdcast.shtml
CGI Resource Index http://cgi.resourceindex.com/Programs_and_Scripts/Perl/Website_Promotion/Recommend_Site/
– Beta test your site and start inviting people (if applicable). If you are planning a social networking site for example, you can do a soft-launch for your site and invite people you know or friends of your friends to try out the site. This way you can iron out the kinks before you do your full blast marketing
– Make sure your on-page factors (e.g. Title, metatags, keyword densities) are right on-target
– Issue a press release announcing the launch of your new site. Press releases are also a way to get inbound one-way links to your website. Here are some places where you can submit your press release for free
– Submit your site to the major search engines. If you are going to read only one piece on search engine optimization, I suggest you read Brett Tabke of WebmasterWorld.com’s “Successful Site in 12 Months with Google Alone: 26 steps to 15k a day.” http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum3/2010.htm
SEO for Google http://www.powerhomebiz.com/052006/google.htm
SEO for Yahoo! Http://www.powerhomebiz.com/052006/yahoo.htm
SEO for MSN http://www.powerhomebiz.com/052006/msn.htm
Tying It Together: SEO For The Big Three http://www.powerhomebiz.com/052006/seo.htm
– Start submitting requests for links. You will find that some will not link to you because you have 0 pagerank because your site is new. But start submitting to DMOZ and other directories and build your pagerank
– Do offline marketing. Whether you are planning to print brochures or do direct marketing, now is also the time to do them
AFTER YOU LAUNCH
– Try to do marketing at least 1 hour every day – whether asking for reciprocal links, submitting articles or submitting your site to directories
– Keep abreast of what’s happening with the search engines.
– Do email marketing or send a newsletter on a regular basis